WAAJIBS (NECESSARY) ACTIONS OF SALAAH
If any waajib is missed in your namaz by mistake, then Sajda-e-sahw would have to be performed to correct your namaz. But if done by purpose, then it is a sin and it will be waajib (necessary) to repeat the salaah.
1. When starting the namaz, saying the Takbeere- Tehreema with the words “Allahu Akbar” – you have to hear yourself saying it otherwise it will not be counted as said.
2. To pray the full surah Fatiha only once in each rakah of your namaz.
3. After finishing surah Fatiha and before starting to pray a surah- not to pray anything in between except for ‘Ameen’ and ‘Bismillah’.
4. To recite a surah or some verses of the Holy Quran after Surah Fatiha- this is done in the first 2 Rakah’s of every Fardh namaz and every rakah of witr, sunnah and nafl namaz.
5. To go into ruku as soon as qiraat is finished.
6. Qawma- meaning to stand up straight after ruku- you need to ensure you are completely straight before going down for sajda.
7. When doing sajdah- do one after the other and one should make sure they sit again properly but don’t delay the sitting position – no more than one rukn, meaning the time it takes to say subhanallah 3 times.
8. When in sajdah- you need to ensure that three toes (the big toe and the two after) are flat firmly pressing on the ground pointing towards the qibla.
9. Jalsa- meaning to sit between the two sajdah- you need to ensure to return completely to a sitting position before going for the next sajda.
10. To only perform one ruku and only 2 sajdahs in each rakat.
11. Qaidah-e uula- meaning the first sitting after 2 rakats, (where you pray tashahhud only). This is when one is praying a 3 or 4 rakah namaz, the first sitting will be Waajib and the last sitting (qaaidah-e akhirah) Fardh.
12. And in a 2 rakah namaz the fist sitting (qaaidah-e uula) will not apply, so the sitting after the 2 rakats will be Qaaidah-e- Akhirah and will be fardh.
13. To pray the whole of Tashahud is waajib, so ensure not to even leave a word out.
14. Not to continue praying after finishing Tashhahud in Qaaidah- e uula, in a Fardh, Witr or Sunnate- maukidah namaz. If you carried on by mistake and started to pray duroode- ibraheem and did not remember until you prayed until: Allahumma Salli Ala Sayyidina Muhammadin- then you will have to do sajdae- sahw. Please note: for the 4 sunnate- ghair maukiddah of Asr and Esha, you should pray duroode Ibraheeem after Tashaahud and then carry on your namaz and finish the last two rakah.
15. It is waajib not to perform qaidah before two rakahs or in the third rakah, if praying a 4 rakah namaz.- so in affect ensure to perform Qaaidah in the right times, which in the second rakah in a 2 rakah namaz, second and fourth rakah of a 4 rakah namaz and second and third rakah of a 3 rakah namaz ( witr waajib of Esha/ 3 fardh of Maghrib).
16. When performing salaam to finish your namaz, ensure that you also say atleast ‘Assalaam’, even when praying behind an imaam in Jamaa’t- as this is Waajib. The rest ‘ Alaikum warahmatullah’ is not waajib.
17. To perform takbeere- kunoot, meaning to say ‘Allahu Akbar’ and lifting your hands in the 3rd rakat of your witr Waajib namaz of Esha. Please note: there is no need to release your hands and let them flow first before raising them again, raise your hands straight away from the position below the navel.
18. One should pray humbly and pause between actions, when going from qawma to sajdah, from from jalsa to sajdah etc. pause for the atleast the time it takes to pray one ‘subhanallah’. However, there should not be a gap between two fardh actions, or between two waajib actions, or between a fardh and waajib action of more than the time it takes to say ‘subhanallah 3 times. Therefore, as a general rule one should pause for about the time it takes to say ‘subhanallah 2 times’ – between each action.
19. All the 6 extra takbeers prayed in Eid namaaz.
20. The imaam to pray loudly in all the Jehri namaz and quietly in all the non- jehri namaz. The Jehri namaaz are the Fajr, Maghrib and Esha prayers daily-as well as the Eid prayers. The non- jehri are Zohr and Asr namaz in which the Imaam should recite qiraat quietly.
21. It is waajib for all the muqtadees (followers of the imaam) in namaz, to remain completely quiet when the imaam is doing qiraat- whether it be for Jehri or non- Jehri namaz. Once joined in Jamaa’t behind the imaam, one should not pray anything when the imaam is doing qiraat.
22. Apart from Qiraat: one should follow the imaam in all the waajibs.
23. One should ensure to do the Sajda-e tilaawat if an ayat of sajda has been prayed.
24. If an error has been made in that a waajib has been missed, then one must perform sajdah- sahw in the end, otherwise the namaaz will have to be repeated.