The people of Madinah were mostly agriculturists and those of Mecca tradesmen. Allah’s Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassallam) himself entered into a contract with the people of Khyber that they should manage and cultivate the gardens and lands of Khyber and enjoy in return half of the produce and give the other half to him.
The following rules should be observed in agricultural and horticultural leases:
1. The ground should be capable of cultivation and gardening.
2. The contracting parties must be mature and duly qualified.
3. The terms of lease shall be express.
4. The parties shall comply as to who is to supply seeds.
5. Shares of the parties to the produce shall be fixed.
6. The land shall be delivered to the possession of the cultivator.