The miracle of the water that flowed from the fingers of the Prophet ص
Sayyidina Anas tells us that it was time for the Asr prayer when he caught sight of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم .His followers searched for water to make the obligatory ablution but were unable to find any. However, there was a little water available and so it was brought to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم who put his hand in the vessel and water began to flow from his fingertips. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم told his followers to make their ablution with that water and each and every follower was able to make their ablution from that blessed water. 1 Sayyidina Qatada sheds further light upon this miracle and tells us that there were approximately three hundred people who made their ablution with that water. However, other reports indicate there were eighty, and another seventy. 2
- The water was bought in the blessed court of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم as the companions firmly believed that everything is available from the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم because he صلى الله عليه وسلم is the beloved of Allah (The Exalted) and has been given the keys to both worlds. 2. The question then arises why did they not ask Allah (The Exalted)? Isn’t Allah (The Exalted) the creator and the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم creation? 3. The companions faith was firm in the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم .If they needed anything from Allah (The Exalted) they would go directly to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم. 4. Zam Zam water flows from the time of Sayyidina Ismail’s time till now, Sayyidina Ismail is a representative of our beloved Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ,then why should it not flow from the blessed fingers of the leader of the Prophets!
The following miracle occurred on the Day of Hudabiyyah when the pilgrims were very thirsty. The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم had a container from which he would make ablution and in it there was still some water. The pilgrims went to him صلى الله عليه وسلم and told him that they had no water and the only available water was that in his container. Upon hearing this, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم put his hand in the container whereupon water began to flow from between his fingers just like springs. Sayyidina Jabir who reported this miraculous event was asked how many people they were, whereupon he replied, “There would have been sufficient if we had been a hundred thousand, and we were just fifteen thousand!”3
1. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم did not say to his companions that I am a human like you, go and ask Allah (The Exalted) he is the creator. 2. We believe that Allah (The Exalted) is the creator and the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم is the beloved of Allah (The Exalted) and has been given the keys to the treasures of Allah (The Exalted).
At the encounter of Bowat a similar miracle occurred. The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم asked Sayyidina Jabir to bring him some water to make ablution. However, only a dry water skin with a few drops of water could be found, and this was brought to him. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم pressed it and supplicated, then asked for a caravan bowl to be brought to him صلى الله عليه وسلم .Then, with his blessed fingers spread out in a bowl Sayyidina Jabir poured the drops over them. And as the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “Allah, In the Name of” water began to flow from his fingers. Then, it began to gush into the bowl until it was full and he ordered his followers to use the water. Everyone made their ablution and he inquired if anyone was still in need of water. Now that their needs had been met the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم withdrew his hand from the bowl and it was still full.
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم is increasing the faith of the blessed companions when he recites the name of Allah (The Exalted).
One day whilst on a journey, Sayyidina Ash-Sha’bi tells us, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was brought a small vessel of water and informed that this was the only remaining water. The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم poured the water into a bowl and then dipped his fingers in the middle and water gushed from his blessed fingers. Each of his Companions who came to him was able to make their ablution.5
- Imam At-Tirmidhi draws our attention to the fact that all these miraculous events took place before many people, and no one can suspect or doubt their occurrence.
- If it had not been so, rest assured that the Companions would have been the first to speak out about it as they were never silent about an untruth.
- None raised the slightest objection to the reports of these miraculous events.
- They both witnessed and experienced them, so it can be said that each and every one confirmed the occurrence of these miracles
Sayyidina Mu’adh ibn Jabal narrates the happenings at Tabuk. He tells us that they came upon an almost dried-up spring of water that was scarcely dripping. They scooped up the drops from the spring with their hands and put it into a container. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم then washed his blessed face letting the drops of water that fell from him fall back into the container and water began to pour forth and quenched the thirst of all his Companions. Sayyidina ibn Isaac added, that the water welled up from the residue of water as fast as lightning. Thereafter, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم told Sayyidina Mu’adh that if he were to live for a long time he would see what watering gardens was there. 6
- The drops after taking blessing from the blessed face of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم increased to the extent that is was enough for all the blessed companions.
- The rule of Shariah is that once water is used one cannot use it. In the ahadith it mentions that sins fall from parts of the body which the water is used. However, the rules of Shariah and rules of nature are for the Ummah. The water that touches the blessed face of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم is not only pure but also purifying. It does not decress but increases.
- Approximately 3,000 companions drank from the blessings of this water with their animals. (Zarqani. Vol.3. p. 76)
At Hudaybiyah, we are told by Sayyidina Al Bara’, there were approximately 14,000 men, and the water well they found was insufficient to provide for even fifty sheep. The Companions crowded around the well until not one single drop remained. Then, the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم came and sat beside it and a container was brought to him in which he blew some of his saliva and supplicated. Sayyidina Salama reported that he either supplicated or blew some of his salvia in it whereupon water gushed forth and there was sufficient water for themselves and enough to fill their containers. Sayyidina ibn Shehab tells us he drew an arrow from its quiver and placed it in the bottom of the dried up water well, and an excess of water flowed so that it became a water-hole sufficient for the needs of animals.7 Similar narrations are found in Sahih Bukhari.
- Every part of the Prophet’s صلى الله عليه وسلم is very blessed. His blessed saliva and dua increased the water to quench the thirst of the hot desert of 14,000 companions but they even filled their water containers too.
- How fortunate were they that they had the blessed saliva of the beloved Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم in their bodies.
One day, as Sayyidina Imran, Sayyidina Hussain’s son tells us, the Companions faced great thirst. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم told two of his Companions that they would find a woman in a certain place with a camel carrying two water skins. The woman was located where he said she would be found and they brought her to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم who filled a container with the water from the skins and then supplicated, after which he poured the water back into the skins. The skins were opened and he told his Companions to fill their water containers with its water and this they did. Afterwards, Sayyidina Imran commented, “It appeared to me that after that, the skins contained even more water.” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was thankful and told his companions to give the woman some provisions and she filled her robe with them. Then he told her, “You may go, we did not take any of your water, Allah (The Exalted) has given us water.”8
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم gave the news of the unseen. Whether it is a male or female, the place, with the type of animal and the number of water skins. SubhanAllah!
- The beloved Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم knows about each and every one of us and every detail too.
- The companions did not question, nor did they doubt the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم but firmly believed his blessed words and followed his instructions.
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated and the water increased making it enough for all.
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم did not reduce what water the woman already had but increased it.
- The woman not only received blessings from the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم but also received gifts that filled her robe.
- It was certainly a day of Eid for this woman!
Sayyidina Umar, tells of another occasion as the Companions were on the march they were afflicted by such thirst that one of them was prepared to kill his camel to squeeze its stomach and drink its contents. Sayyidina Abu Bakr went to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and asked him to supplicate for relief from their thirst, whereupon the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم raised his hands, and before he lowered them a rain cloud appeared and poured out its rain, and all the Companions were able to fill their containers. The rain cloud did not pour its rain anywhere else; it only fell on the Companions.9
- The beloved of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم asked the beloved of Allah (The Exalted) to supplicate. This dua was no doubt accepted.
- Before the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم lowered his blessed hands the dua was accepted.
- How can a cloud appear in the middle of the desert? Also, it did not rain anywhere else but it was only for them.
As Sayyidina Amr ibn Shu’aby rode behind the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم at Dhu’l Majaz10 he heard Sayyidina Abu Talib say to him, “I don’t have any water with me and I am thirsty.” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم dismounted and struck the ground with his feet whereupon water gushed forth, and he invited him to drink.”11 After the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم made the rain prayer, it rained for a full week and the people complained about the effect on the houses, roads and flocks.
- Sayyidina Abu Talib12 loved the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ,he looked after the beloved Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم from his heart and defended him from the non-believers.
- When the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم heard this, the king of the universe dismounted and struck the earth and with the blessing of his feet the water gushed out.
- Sayyidina Ismail is also been blessed with this miracle, however, Sayyidina Ismail is a follower of the beloved, it is from the blessing of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم Sayyidina Ismail was blessed with this miracle. Sayyidina Ismail was carrying the Noor of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم.