The miracle of the Palm trunk that wailed at its separation from the Prophet ص
This touching event in which the palm trunk wailed on account of its separation from the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم has been widely reported and is very well known and has been transmitted by at least ten of the Companions.1
Sayyidina Jabir, Sayyidina Abdullah’s son tells us that the Prophet’s صلى الله عليه وسلم Mosque was built from the trunks of palm-trees with a roof laid over them. During sermons, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم would lean against one of its trunks, but when a pulpit was built for him صلى الله عليه وسلم they heard the trunk let out a sound similar to that of a camel.2
- The tree trunk cried from the separation of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم.
- When the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم touched the tree, it received Noor and became alive.
- Ya RasoolAllah! Make our hearts alive in your love صلى الله عليه وسلم .Ameen
Sayyidina Anas tells us that the mosque shook with its wailing, and Sahl informs us that the congregation wept profusely when they saw what was happening. Sayyidinna Al-Muttalib said, “It nearly split and burst apart, then the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم went to it and placed his hand upon it and it became quieted.”3 The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم told his followers, “This trunk wails because it remembers what it lost.”4 Another companion added, “By the One in whose hand is my soul, if he had not consoled it, it would have remained wailing like that up until the Day of Resurrection on account of its grieving for the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم. 5 Sayyidina Anas informs us that the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم gave instructions for the trunk to be buried under the pulpit. Sayyidina Sahl said that it was either buried under the pulpit or else placed on the roof.
- The wailing must have been so loud that it shook the Masjid, Allahu Akbar!
- The companions also wept seeing this out of love.
- We cannot image the state of this blessed tree that the companion is saying it nearly split and burst apart.
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم placed his blessed hand on it and the tree calmed down. It could not bear the separation.
- A companion took an oath that if the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم did not calm it down it would have wailed till the end of times.
Sayyidina Al Isfira’ini adds, “The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم called it to come to him and it came ploughing its way through the ground and clung to him. Then he told it to return to its place.”6
- How fortunate is that tree that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم called it.
- The tree also had the opportunity to embrace the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم .SubhanAllah!
- Ya RasoolAllah! Forgives us, we are not worthy
Sayyidina Burayda tells of the conversation between the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and the palmtrunk. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم spoke to it saying, “If you like, I will put you back in the garden you came from so that your roots can grow, and your shape be restored, and you will bear fruit and leaves once more. Or, if you prefer, I will plant you in the Garden so that the friends of Allah may eat of your fruit.” The palm trunk replied, “Yes, plant me in the Garden so that the friends of Allah may eat from me, and I will be in a place where I will not decay.” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “This I have done.” Then he said, “It has chosen the Lasting aboard over that of the passing.” Those who were near heard what was said.7
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم spoke to the tree and the tree understood the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and replied.
- Once the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم touches something its end will be in Paradise. This was to show the companions and those to come later to choose the hereafter and be with the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم.
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم granted the tree Paradise.
- Ya RasoolAllah! Have mercy upon us!
Whenever Sayyidina Al-Hasan, the grandson of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم narrated this story, he would weep and say, “Worshipers of Allah, the wood yearned for the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم and longed for him because of his position, it is you who should yearn to meet him!”8 Many of the closest Companions transmitted this story, and many followers narrated it from them.
- Ya Allah! Grant us the true love and longing of Your Beloved Habeeb صلى الله عليه وسلم for the sake of Imam Ali, Sayyida Fatima, Imam Hasan and Imam Husain! Ameen
- We as the Ummah, the followers who claim to believe in him صلى الله عليه وسلم should be longing for the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم .These are all lessons for us.