The answering of the Prophet’s صلى الله عليه وسلم supplication
We learn from many of the Companions that the supplication or curse of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was always answered. Sayyidina Hudhayfa tells us that when the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated for someone, the supplication blessed not only the receiver but his sons and grandsons. There are numerous narrations that speak of the supplications of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and the following are as before, simply a glimpse.
Sayyidina Anas’s mother went to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and said, “Sayyidina Anas serves you, supplicate to Allah for him.” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated saying, “O Allah, give him a lot of children and abundant wealth, and bless him in what You give him.” 1Later, Sayyidina Ikrima tells us that Sayyidina Anas said, “By Allah, I have an abundance of wealth and I have approximately one hundred children and grandchildren.”2 It has also been reported that he said, “I know of no one who is wealthier than I. I have, with my hands, buried a hundred children, and none were miscarriages or grandsons.”3
- To serve the creation of Allah is a great form of worship. To serve parents, teachers, elders, youngsters, Muslims, non-Muslims etc. is very rewarding act.
- Receiving the Prophet’s صلى الله عليه وسلم supplication and gaze is the best of all blessings.
- Sayydina Anas received without a doubt the supplication of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم.
- Wealth does not necessarily mean money. It could mean many things i.e. ability to remember Allah more often, ability to pray be it Salaah, Qur’an, understanding of the religion, being satisfied with what one has, being greatful etc
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated for Sayyidina Abdur Rahman, Sayyidina Awf’s son and he tells us “If I lifted a stone, I would expect to find gold under it shown to me by Allah.”4 When he died, there was a mount of gold that had to be shoveled and hands became blistered with its moving. He had four wives and donated to them each eighty thousand dinars, it is also reported that the amount was a hundred thousand. Sayyidina Abdur Rahman was well known for his charitable acts and donated fifty thousand dinars. He had been charitable throughout his life and it was usual for him to free in a day thirty people in service. There was a time when his charitable giving included a caravan that had seven hundred camels and had come to him bearing all manner of goods. Everything was given away in the Name of Allah including saddles and saddle-cloths.5
- Wealth is from Allah, we will not take anything with us.
- If someone has been blessed with wealth, try and give for Allah to assist His creation.
- Giving for the sake of Allah only increases wealth.
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم asked Allah to answer the supplication of Sayyidina Saad, Sayyidina Abi Waqqas’s son and thereafter, whenever he supplicated his supplication was answered.6
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated to Allah saying, “O Allah, strengthen Islam through Sayyidina Umar, Khattab’s son or Abu Jahl.” Sayyidina Umar was the one to be blessed by the supplication. Sayyidina Masood’s son said, “We began to be powerful from the time Sayyidina Umar became a Muslim.”7
- Sayyidina Umar did not disrespect the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم before he embraced Islam.
- Abu Jahl disrespected the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم…….
- One who disrespects the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم will never be amongst the true believers.
- Sayyidina Umar is buried next to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم under the green dome. Allah created them from the same soil.
- Sayyidina Umar was the 40th person to embrace Islam.
The Companions went out on a mission and were stricken by thirst so Sayyidina Umar went to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and asked him to supplicate. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated and a cloud came and provided them with water, then went away. On another occasion during a period of drought, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated in the rain prayer and it rained so much that they asked him to supplicate for its ending whereupon it stopped. 8
- Sayyidina Umar believed in Allah as the creator and the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم as His messenger. However, in order to reach Allah, we must go through someone who is connected to Allah. This was the Aqida (beliefs) of the companions.
- The companions have taught us this Aqida. If to ask anyone besides Allah was shirk then why did Sayyidina Umar, ask the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم?
- Also, if it was against Islam to ask from other than Allah, why did the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم not correct Sayyidina Umar?
- This proves that this is the correct belief that when we need something, it is Sunnah to ask someone who is close to Allah.
- The entire creation is in the control of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ,be it on land, in the skies, in the seas, in this world or the other worlds and galaxies.
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated for Sayyidina Abu Qatada saying, “May your face prosper! O Allah bless him in his hair and skin.”9 Sayyidina Abu Qatada died at the age of seventy but looked no older than fifteen.10
- All beauty is from the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم .
- Ya RasoolAllah! Enlighten our faces, our hearts, our internal and external states, Ameen. Fi Khayr Lutf Aafiyah!
Sayyidina An-Nabigha lived till the age of one hundred and twenty, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated for him saying, “May Allah not break your teeth” and none of his teeth fell out. One versions state that he had the most handsome teeth. When one of his teeth came out, another grew for him. He lived to be 120.11
- A beautiful way to keep our teeth strong and healthy is to use a Miswak.
- This is a very rewarding action and a great Sunnah of our beloved Prophet .ص
For Sayyidina Abbas’ son, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated, “O Allah, give him understanding of the religion and teach him its interpretation.” Thereafter he was known as ‘Al Habr’ the scholar and the interpreter of the Qu’ran.12
- What a beautiful supplication. Sayyidina ibn Abbas became very learnt individual indeed……….
- To be blessed with supplication from your teacher is a great honour.
- It is through their gazes and states one receives openings (Fath).
- O Allah! Grant us duas and gazes from our teachers, Ameen. Fi Khayr Lutf Aafiya.
Sayyidina Abdullah, Sayyidina Jaffar’s son was also blessed by the supplication of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم who supplicated for his hands to be blessed in business transactions. Every enterprise he ventured into realised a profit.13
- To work and do business is a Sunnah too.
- It is a form of worship too.
- To be successful at either working for someone or your own business, it is important to study what is required from us as Muslims. We should be disciplined and be good ambassadors of our beloved Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم
Sayyidina Al Miqqad, Sayyidina Amr’s son was another recipient of the blessings of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and he was given plenty of wealth.14 Sayyidina Urwa, Sayyidina Abil Jad’s son was blessed by a similar supplication, he tells us “I lived in Kinasa (Kufa), and when I returned I had made a profit of forty thousand.”15 Added to this in Sahih Bukhari is the statement, “If Sayyidina Urwa had purchased dust, he would have made a profit on it.”16
Sayyidina Gharqada had some camels and one of his she-camels sprinted-off. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم called it and a strong wind blew and forced her to return.17
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم has the control over everything including the wind.
- May be the camel was very happy to see the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and ran out of joy, Subhan Allah!
Sayyidina Abu Hurayrah’s mother embraced Islam through the supplication of the .صلى الله عليه وسلم Prophet 18
- Allahu Akbar! The supplication of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم opened the doors and lifted the veils of disbelief from her (may Allah be pleased with her).
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated for Sayyidina Ali asking that he be protected from the heat and cold. In the summer he was able to wear the clothes of winter and in winter the clothes of summer. Neither heat nor cold affected him.19
- SubhanAllah! Allah (The Exalted) knows what really happened. It seems like the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم increased the physical and spiritual (Roohaniyah).
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated for his daughter, Sayyidah Fatima asking Allah (The Exalted) that she should never be hunger. Sayyidah Fatima (may Allah be pleased with her said) “After that I was never hungry.”20
Sayyidina At-Tufayl, Sayyidina Amr’s son embraced Islam and asked the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم for a sign to take to his tribe whereupon he supplicated, “O Allah, illuminate him,” and a light shone between his eyes. Sayyidina At Tufayl said, “I am fearful that they will say it is a punishment” so the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم moved the light to the tip of his stick, and on a dark night it would give him light. Because of this Sayyidina Tufayl became known as Dhu’u nor – The Possessor of Light.21
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم granted him light (Noor).
- All the companions have received light and it is this light they took with them to bring others into Islam.
- This light is passed on from generation to generation.
- The Friends of Allah (Awliya) carry this light and guide.
- O Allah! Grant us the light of RasoolAllah صلى الله عليه وسلم !Without trials and struggles, with goodness and ease. Aameen!
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated against a man from the tribe of Quraysh called Mudar whereupon they were stricken by drought until they settled the matter. Once the matter was resolved the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated for them and it began to rain.22
- When people don’t follow the commands of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ,they are tested, so they come to straight path.
- If they remain arrogant, they get destroyed in this world and hereafter. We will learn this in the next incident.
- May Allah (The Exalted) grant us humbleness and allow us to love and follow His beloved صلى الله عليه وسلم.
Chosroes, the King of Persia received a letter from the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and tore it up. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated against him asking Allah to part his kingdom. This occurred, and the Persians lost their leadership in the world.23
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم never compromised the prayer to Allah, nor wanted his Companions or nation to leave it even during a war. In times of conflict half the army would go to pray while the rest defended their position. One day a young man stopped praying, and the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated against him and he became lame.24
- O Allah! We are weak, please forgive us. Make us from amongst those who never miss Salaah.
- O Allah! We are not worthy of being tested. We should thank you for everything you have granted us.
- O Allah! You have granted us the greatest gift and that is Your beloved صلى الله عليه وسلم.
- O Allah! Give us the love of Salaah as this is beloved to Your beloved صلى الله عليه وسلم . Aameen Ya Rab!
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم saw a man eating with his left hand and advised him, “Eat with your right hand.” The man arrogantly replied, “I am not able to do so.” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “You will not be able to do so,” and thereafter the man was never able to raise his right hand to his mouth.25
- O Allah! If our names are amongst those who are arrogant, please for the sake of Your beloved صلى الله عليه وسلم remove us.
- O Allah! Make us from amongst those who follow the Sunnnah. Aameen.
Utba, Abi Lahab’s son was one of the enemies of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and he supplicated against him saying, “O Allah, give one of Your predators (meat eaters) power over him”, later he was eaten by a lion.26 He told a woman, “May a lion eat you,” and she was eaten by a lion.27
- If we don’t learn from the lessons that took part in history then what kind of people are we?
- O Allah! Grant us the Love of Your beloved! Aameen.
Sayyidina Masood’s son tells us of the time when the unbelievers among the Quraysh put a placenta full of fluid and blood around the Prophet’s صلى الله عليه وسلم blessed neck whilst he was prostrate in prayer to Allah (The Exalted). The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم cursed each of the partakers, name by name, and during the Battle of Badr each one met their death.28
- We must remember that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم did not preach for himself, he did not have desires, needs or such but it was purely for Allah (The Exalted).
- These people were not only ignorant but evil. Allah (The Exalted) takes care of His beloved and those who love His beloved.
Muhallim, Jaththama’s son was another of the staunch enemies of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and was subjected to his curse. Muhallim was killed by a wild beast and every time an attempt to bury him was made, the earth rejected him and threw his body to its surface. Finally, they threw his corpse between a gully and covered him with stones.29
- We find that Allah (The Exalted) created this world for His beloved صلى الله عليه وسلم .If someone goes against this, not even the earth will accept them.
A certain man denied that he had sold his horse and only gave up his claim to ownership after the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم supplicated, “O Allah, if he is lying, do not give him any blessing in it” whereupon the legs of the horse became stiff. 30
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم once mentioned to his companions that there will be great trial and tribulation (fitna) in the grave. When the companions enquired, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, about me.
- The 3rd question in the grave in regards the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم .We all need to pass this with flying colours. The questions and the answers have been given to us, however, the one who recognised the Messenger in this world will answer correctly.
- Follow the beliefs of the Awliya, these are our mock papers and truly it is with their Aqidah we will pass in Shaa Allah!