Miracles connected with animals
Sayyida Ayesha tells us of a pet they used to have, she said, “When the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم was with us it stayed in its place without moving. It was only when he went out that it would move about.”1
- This may have been a kid goat.
- The situation of a kid goat is that it never stays still. That’s its nature, they are very playful.
- However, in presence of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم it would stay in its place out of respect. Allahu Akbar!
- Ya Rab! Please grant us respect of Your Habeeb صلى الله عليه وسلم .Ameen
Sayyidina Umar tells us of the time when a Bedouin who had caught a lizard came up to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and his Companions and asked them who the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was. The Companions replied that he was the Prophet of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم .Upon hearing this the Bedouin swore by the two pagan gods Al Lat and Al Uzza saying, “I do not believe you, neither does this lizard!” and threw it in front of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم .The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم called the lizard and it answered in clear human speech so that everyone could hear, “Obedient to you, O adornment of the One who will bring the Resurrection!” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم asked the lizard, “Who do you worship? And it replied, “The One whose throne is in the heaven and whose power is in the earth, whose path is in the sea, whose mercy is in the Garden, and whose punishment is in the Fire.” Then the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم asked, “Who am I?” and it replied, “The Messenger of the Lord of the Worlds and the Seal of the Prophets.
Whosoever bears witness that this is so is successful and whosoever belies you is lost!” Upon witnessing this miraculous event the Bedouin embraced Islam. 2
- The lizard spoke in clear human speech gifted by Allah.
- It obeyed the command of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and bared witness to Allah.
- It also believed that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم is the final Messenger.
- This made the faith of the companions stronger.
- The Bedouin after seeing this miracle accepted the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and Allah.
- We find from this that we need to accept the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم with love, sincerity and believe in him with all his blessed qualities. It is then your Islam is acceptable.
- How fortunate was that lizard to accept and declare Islam in the majestic presence of the Prophet ص
Sayyidina Abu Sa’id Al Khudri tells us a story about a wolf that spoke, and the following is an extract. A shepherd was herding his sheep when a wolf snatched one of them, however, the shepherd succeeded to get it back. Rather than running away, the wolf sat down on its sides and said, “Don’t you fear Allah? You have come between me and my provision!” The shepherd exclaimed, “How extraordinary, a wolf that speaks just like a human!” The wolf replied, “Shall I tell you something that is even more extraordinary? The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم who is now between those two passes tells his people news of past and future happenings!” The shepherd went to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and told him what had happened, whereupon he told the shepherd, “Arise and tell the people” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said, “The wolf spoke the truth.”3
- The wolf believes in Allah and the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم.
- The wolf is inviting the Shepard towards the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم.
- The wolf was given ability to speak just like a human because of the Prophet .صلى الله عليه وسلم
- The wolf then said you think this is extraordinary, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم tells the happenings of the furfure.
We learn more about this miraculous event in the version from Sayyidina Abu Hurayrah who tells us, that the wolf said, “You are even more extraordinary! Here you are standing with your sheep and abandoning the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and Allah places greater value on him than any previous prophet. The Gates of the Garden have been opened for him and its inhabitants look at his Companions to see what they are doing. Only this valley stands between you and him, so go and join the army of Allah.” The shepherd (whose name was Sayyidina Ahban, Aws’s son) said, “Who will care for my sheep?” The wolf replied, “I will guard them for you until you return.” So, the shepherd left the wolf in charge of his flock. When he reached the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم he told the shepherd, “Return to your sheep, you will find them all there.” The shepherd returned and not one was missing so he slaughtered one for the wolf. Sayyidina Ahban, Aws’s son embraced Islam.4
- The wolf found it extraordinary that the shepherd did not already believe in the .صلى الله عليه وسلم Prophet
- The wolf believed in the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ,in the companions and Paradise.
- The wolf promised to look after the Shepard’s sheep. This goes against nature as this is the food for wolves.
- The wolf received the Noor from the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and became an honest and obedient wolf.
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم gave the Shephard the news from the unseen that your sheep will all be there.
- The wolf kept its promise and was rewarded.
- Both the wolf and Shephard were rewarded; no one goes empty handed from the blessed court of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم
Another story has reached us from Wahb’s son. Abu Sufyan Harb’s son and Safwan, Umayyah’s son came across a wolf chasing a gazelle. The gazelle entered the Holy Surroundings, but the wolf did not pursue it. The two expressed their amazement and the wolf spoke saying, “It is even more extraordinary that Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم , Sayyidina Abdullah’s son calls you to the Garden, while you call him to the Fire.” Abu Sufyan swore by Al lat and Al uzza (two pagan gods), and said, “If you had mentioned this in Makkah, it would have been deserted.” A similar incident occurred to Abu Jahl and his companions.5
Before he embraced Islam Sayyidina Abbas, Mirdas’s son worshiped an idol named Damari. One day he heard some poetry coming from around it in which Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم was mentioned. Then a bird swooped down and said, “Abbas, do you marvel at what was said around Damari but do not wonder at yourself when the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم calls you to Islam, and you sit here!”6
- The animals recognised the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم.
- O Allah! Make us from amongst those who recognise Your Beloved صلى الله عليه وسلم , Ameen!
Sayyidina Jabir, Sayyidina Abdullah’s son tells us of an event that happened during the siege of Khybar. During the siege of one of the fortresses of Khybar, a man came to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and embraced Islam. The man had been herding some sheep for the people of Khybar and asked the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم what he should do about the sheep. He was told to throw some pebbles at their faces and that Allah would take care of his trust for him and return them to their owners. The man did as he was told, and all the sheep returned to their owners. 7
- This is a fine example of how the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم upheld the rights of the unbelievers.
- The stones were a guide for the sheep to find their way home.
Sayyidina Anas tells of the occasion when the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم accompanied by Sayyidina Abu Bakr, Sayyidina Umar and an Ansar, went into a garden belonging to another Ansar. There were some sheep in the garden and when they saw the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم the sheep bowed to him. Whereupon Sayyidina Abu Bakr said, “It is a greater obligation upon us to bow to you.”8
- Allahu Akbar! This was the respect and high esteem the animals had for the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم.
- The beloved of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ,Sayyidina Abu Bakr could not resist and said we should do this to you, as Allah sent the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم to humans and to save us from the hell fire. However, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم did not say this is shirk/kufr etc. but did not recommend as to move people away from idol worship.
We learn from Sayyidina Tha’laba, Malik’s son and others the story of a mischief camel. No one entered a certain garden without being attacked by a mischief camel, but when the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم entered the garden, he called to it and it came, put its muzzle on the ground and knelt before him. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم placed a halter around its neck and said, “There is nothing between the heavens and the earth that does not know I am the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم ,except the disobedient amongst the jinn and mankind.”9
Other hadiths report occasions when camels spoke to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم .One complained that it was made to work very hard and it was given only a little food. Another complained that its owners wanted to slaughter it after they had made it work very hard ever since it was very young.10
- The camels recognised the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم and knew he was the remover of distress.
- They even complained to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and he صلى الله عليه وسلم understood what problems they had.
Abdullah, Abi Awfa’s son says that one of these camels had a split ear and after it had spoken to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ,it was put out to pasture and wild animals never bothered it and called to it saying, “You belong to Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم “!When the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم passed away, the camel refused to eat or drink and died.11
- No one can do anything to you when you become the servant of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم.
- This goes against nature; however, nature is under the command of the .صلى الله عليه وسلم Prophet
- The camel’s love was so strong that it died due to the separation.
It was the time for Eid, and Abdullah, Qurt’s son, tells us that there were either five, six or seven camels that came of their own choosing to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم so that he might sacrifice them.12
- The animals were ready to be sacrificed by the blessed hands of the Prophet .صلى الله عليه وسلم
- How fortunate and blessed were those camels that had such an opportunity!
A man was accused of stealing a she-camel, whereupon the camel bore witness before the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم that the man was its rightful owner.13
At the Opening of Mecca, Wahb’s son, tells us that the pigeons of Mecca shaded the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and he supplicated to Allah to bless them.
Anas, amongst other Companions, tells us of an event that took place during the migration of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم after he and Sayyidina Abu Bakr had reached the Cave. During the night, Allah commanded a tree to grow in front of the Cave so that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم would be concealed. He also commanded two pigeons the perch at the entrance of the Cave.14 Another transmission adds that a spider spun its web at the entrance of the Cave, and that when those who were in pursuit of him saw the web they concluded, “If there had been anyone in there, the pigeons would not have settled at its mouth.” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم undetected overheard what they said, and they left.15
Sayyida Umm Salama, wife of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم narrated a touching story of a gazelle. One day as the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was in the desert he heard a gazelle call “O Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم “!whereupon he replied, “What is your need?” The gazelle told him that a Bedouin had caught her, and she had two young fawns in the mountains, and asked him to release her so that she might go and suckle them, and told him that she would return. The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم asked if she would indeed do as she said, and she replied that she would. He released the gazelle and it went to suckle her fawns and then returned, whereupon the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم tied her up. When the Bedouin returned he saw the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم and asked, “O Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم is there anything you want?” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم asked kindly, “Let this gazelle go.” So, the Bedouin let her go and it ran off into the desert saying, “I bear witness that there is no god except Allah and that you are the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم”.16
- The gazelle knew that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم is the helper, so it called.
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم understood its language.
- The gazelle promised to return, and it did so.
- The gazelle bore witness and declared the shahdah, this was really for the Bedouin.
Sayyidina Safina was a servant of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم .One day Sayyidina Safina set sail in a boat and sailed in the wrong direction and landed on an island in which there was a lion. As the lion approached Sayyidina Safina told it, “I am the servant of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم “,whereupon the lion nudged him with his shoulder and guided him to the right direction.17
- When you become the Servant of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ,you will be respected.
- The lion went against nature and even showed Sayyidina Safina the way
One day the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم gently took hold of a sheep belonging to tribesmen from the tribe of Abdul Kays by its ear, then let it go. A mark appeared and remained on its ear and thereafter its lambs.18
A four-legged animali was given to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم at Khybar, and Abraham, Hammad’s son tells us he asked, “What is your name?” The four legged animal replied, “My name is Yazid, Shehab’s son.” Thereafter, the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم named it Yafur and the four legged animal would take him to the homes of his Companions and knock at the door with its head and call them for him. When the Prophet ص passed away, the four legged animal grieved so much that it fell into a well and died.19
- Allahu Akbar! It is said that it could not live without the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم hence it committed suicide.
- How fortunate is that four legged animal.
Qani’s son, tells us of the time that the army of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم that numbered approximately three hundred, had pitched camp in a place where there was no water, and they became very thirsty. A goat came to the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم and he milked it and its milk sufficed the entire army. Then the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said to Abu Rafi, “I think you are its owner” and added “the one who brought it, is the one to take it away.”20
- The goat came and presented itself to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ,how fortunate was that goat.
- The milk sufficed the entire army of approximately 300.
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم journeyed on a horse, and when the time for prayer arrived he told the horse, “May Allah bless you, do not move until we have finished our prayer.” The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم turned to face the Qibla and the horse did not move a muscle until he finished praying.21
- Animals need to be tied up as they will just wonder off. However, this horse recognised the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ,not only that but also obeyed the command not to move. Subhan Allah!
- How fortunate was that horse that the best of creation صلى الله عليه وسلم journeyed on it.
- The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم also made supplication for the horse that, May Allah bless you.
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم sent messengers to the kings. There were six messengers, and all set out on the same day and each found that he was able to speak the language of the people to whom he was sent.22
- The Noor of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was infused in the hearts and souls of the companions and the Noor of Islam came out onto their tongues.
- Those kings that were fortunate excepted the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and those who were unfortunate did not and were dealt with by Allah according to their opinion of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم