MAKING UP RAKATS WHEN ONE REACHES LATE FOR THE JAMAAT
The one, who has missed a rakat or more of the jamaat, is called a masbuq.
- The rakat is missed, if one has not joined the imam in ruku.
- If he joins in Ruku or before, the rakat will count, if afterwards..then the reward will be gained but rakat will not count.
- When a latecomer arrives, he should make the takbeer-e-tahreema as normal, stand for a minimum qayaam(so atleast the time taken to read one SubhanAllah), and then join the Imam.
Note: to run in the masjid to catch the rakat is makruh tahrimi, one should always walk calmly in the Masjid and repeat any missed rakats
- One stands only after the imam has said both salams.
- And after standing to make up the rakat/s, one should start with praying thana.
HOW TO MAKE UP MISSED RAKATS (EXAMPLE OF A 4 RAKAT PRAYER)
First rakat missed:
- Stand up and recite, thana, ta’awwuz,tasmiya,surah fatiha, surah…and complete prayer as normal.. with qaidah at the end.
Two rakats missed:
- Stand up and recite, thana, ta’awwuz,tasmiya,surah fatiha, surah…and complete first rakat as normal.
- Stand up again for the second rakat and recite tasmiya,surah fatiha, surah -then complete rakat as normal…with qaidah at the end.
Three rakats missed:
- Stand up and recite, thana, ta’awwuz,tasmiya,surah fatiha, surah…and complete rakat.
- Sit in Qaidah and pray tashhahud.
- Stand up again for the third rakat, recite tasmiya,surah fatiha, surah…and complete the rakat as normal.
- Then stand up again and for the fourth rakat – recite only tasmiya,surah fatiha…then complete the rakat and perform the qaidah and complete as normal.
Four rakats missed:
Recite the whole namaz as one would do when praying alone, surah to be added in the first 2 rakats, and only surah fatiha to be prayed in the 3-4 rakats