ADHAN AND IQAMA
- Both adhan and Iqama are Sunnah Mu’akkada
- they are from the signs of Islam
- adhan and Iqama have to be called for the 5 daily prayers & Jum’a prayer only
- Adhan & iqama are to be offered for the current prayers and make-up prayers.
- Adhan & iqama are to be called for the prayers in the masjid in jamaat that are offered at a designated time.
- A person praying alone at home/masjid, does not need to do the adhan or the iqama again themselves, if the adhan & iqama have been done at the local neighbourhood Masjid. If praying in jamaat at home, iqama is enough- if the adhan has been done at the local neighbourhood Masjid
- For a traveller, the iqama alone is sufficient, while the adhan is recommended.
- Recommended for a person to be in the state of Wudu
Note: It is Makruh Tahrimi (prohibitively disliked) for women to do the adhan or iqama
Recommended for adhan
- The person calling the adhan be righteous
- Knows the sunnah of how to perform the adhan as well as the prayer timings
- Face the qibla
- Place his index finger in each ear and turn only to the right when saying ‘Hayya Alasalaah’, and to the left when saying ‘ Hayya alal Falaah’.
Answering the adhan
One must not talk when the adhan is being called, even if he is reciting the Holy Quran – he should pause and respond to the adhan
Sayyidina Abu Sa’eed Khudri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Beloved Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon Him) said: “when you hear the adhan, say the same words as the caller (mu’azzin).
So one should repeat in reply to the Mu’azzin calling the adhan as it is waajib to do so Also, one must say (SallAllahu Alaihi Wasallam) after ‘ ash’hadu anna Muhammada-rasoolullah’ is called out.
To say after ‘Hayya Alasalaah’ and ‘ Hayya alal Falaah’ – ‘Laa hawla wala quwwata illa billahil aliyyil azeem’.
In the adhan of Fajr, when ‘Assalatu khairum-minanawm’ is called out, it is recommended for the listener to reply ‘sadaqta wabararta’ (you have spoken the truth and done well).
The reply to iqaamah is recommended and at the time of ‘qadqamatissalaah’, the listener is to say: ‘aqaa-mahallaha wa adaamaha’ (may Allah establish it (the salaah) forever).
Dua after adhan
Sayyidina Jaabir (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Beloved Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him said), ‘whoever says the following (dua) after the adhan, my intercession is guaranteed for him on the day of Judgement’.
Other Recommended times for adhan
- At childbirth (adhan in the right ear and iqama in the left)
- If you are lost
- When leaving on a journey
- When a person is buried