REMOVAL OF IMPURITIES
FILTH (NAJAASAT) is something that is considered impure by the sharia’
Actual Impurity (Haqeeqi Najaasat) may be heavy or light and relates to the:
- Place of prayer (the parts of the body that touch the place of prayer).
|TYPES||HEAVY FILTH (GHALIZA)||LIGHT FILTH (KHAFIFA)|
|EXAMPLES||· Human waste: excretion/urine (including baby’s)
· flowing blood/pus
· blood from childbirth/menstruation
· Excretion of animals that can be eaten
· Waste (excretion, urine & saliva) of animals that cannot be eaten (that are predatory like fox or wolf)
· meat of a dead animal
· a mouthful vomit
· Madhy (pre-sexual fluid) & Wadi (white drops following urination)
· droppings of Halal birds that ‘do not fly high’ -like Ducks or swan
|· Urine of animals that can be eaten (also horses)
· dropp ings of haram birds (such as falcon, hawk and eagle)
|AMOUNT EXCUSED||Less than A dirham’s size (which is likened to a 50p coin), or weight:
· Less than 5cm diameter for liquid – 50p rule
· Less than 5g weight for solid
|Less than ¼ of garment (part)/body (part):
· E.g. a trouser leg, sleeve, collar
- Less than the amounts stated above are excused. But it is better and rewarding to follow the sunnah and remove it totally.
- If namaz is prayed with the excused amount, it will count, but will be against the sunnah, so it is better to repeat.
- If there are various drops of Impurity Ghaliza, the ruling will apply after determining what it would be like when collated together. The same ruling will applies to Impurity Khafifa.
- If Impurity Ghaliza mixes with Impurity Khafifa, then all of it becomes Ghaliza.
- Droppings of Halal birds ‘that fly high’ are pure- e.g. pigeons
FIQH OF ANIMALS
Examples of Halal and Haram animals
- All skins of animals can be purified after tanning (except pig skin), Including animals not slaughtered in a Halal manner
- If an animal whether halal or Haram is slaughtered by saying bismillah then its meat and skin is clean (the Haram meat will remain Haram to eat, but its skin/meat are ‘clean’ in terms of Purity of (Ghaliza/Khafifa).
- Skins can be used to pray on as mats etc… or other usages after they have been made pure.
- Anything through which blood does not flow is pure, e.g. hair, feathers, claws etc.