MADINAH MUNAWWARAH- TO THE BELOVED MESSENGER (PEACE AND BLESSINGS BE UPON HIM)
The Beloved Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon Him) said: “whoever has the ability yet does not visit me has indeed turned away from me”. And also, “whoever visits my resting place, my intercession is incumbent for him”. And furthermore, “whoever visits me after my passing away; it is as if he has visited me during my life”.
- Intention: is to go and visit the Beloved Prophet (peace and blessings be upon Him).
- Before approaching the blessed city, one needs to be in constant recitation of durood and salawat on the Beloved Prophet (peace and Blessings be upon Him).
- When one sees the walls of Madinah Munawwarah, one should say: “O Allah, this is the sanctuary of your Prophet, so make it a protection for me from the fire, and a safety from punishment and a bad reckoning”.
- One should perform a bath upon arriving (before entering the city if possible)
- Apply scent
- Wear one’s finest clothes
- One should enter the city in a state of humility, tranquility and stillness and say: “in the name of Allah and on the way of the Messenger of Allah. My Lord let me enter with sincerity, and exit with sincerity, and give me from thy presence an authority of victory. O Allah send blessings upon our Master Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), and upon the family of our master Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon Him), forgive me for my sins, and open for me the doors of your mercy and grace.
- Then one enters the masjid-e-nabawi and prays 2 rakats (preferably at the riyadul-jannah). As the Beloved Prophet (peace and blessings be upon Him) said: “Between my grave and my pulpit is a meadow (rawda) of the meadows of paradise, and my pulpit is upon my watering pool (hawdhekawthar)”.
- Nowadays due to the busy nature of the place, it may be difficult to pray at the Rawda, so one should pray the two rakah tahiyyatul masjid anywhere in the masjid-e-nabawi and endeavor to pray at the rawda at a later time.
- One should after the prayer, make a prostration out of thankfulness to Allah most High for having enabled him to come to Madinah Munawwara and also supplicate for what one desires (especially ask that Allah puts in our hearts the true love of His Beloved ( peace and blessings be upon Him).
- Then one should with utmost humility and respect head towards the rawda of the beloved Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon Him).
- One should stand facing the rawda with his back to the kibla direction, hands folded as he does in namaz, one should imagine His noble and beatufiul form (peace and blessings be upon Him), and know that the Beloved can see and hear you.
- The Beloved Prophet (peace and blessings upon Him) said; “If one sends blessings upon me at my resting place, I hear it”.
Then one should with a lowered voice and a lowered head.. say:
Peace be upon you O Messenger of Allah, Peace be upon you O Prophet of Allah, peace be upon you O pure selection of Allah, peace be upon you O beloved of Allah, peace be upon you O Prophet of Mercy, peace be upon you O intercessor of the nation, peace be upon you O master of all Messengers, peace be upon you O seal of the prophets, Peace be upon you O wrapped one, Peace be upon you O cloaked one, peace be upon you and upon your family, the wholesome and chaste. I testify that you indeed conveyed the message, fulfilled the trust, gave sincere counsel to the nation, clarified the proof, struggled in the way of Allah, and fought for the religion of Allah, until you went from this mundane world.
May Allah send peace and blessings upon you forever. O messenger of Allah, we are here as visitors to you, we have come to be close to you, to take blessings from you, and to seek your intercession with your lord; for verily our sins have no ending, and evil has overwhelmed our shoulders, and you are the intercessor and the one with the praiseworthy station. and Allah has indeed said: “and if only, after having oppressed themselves, they had come to you and sought Allah’s forgiveness, and you had sought forgiveness on their behalf, they would certainly have found Allah to be ever- forgiving and, all merciful”. And we have come to you after having oppressed ourselves, seeking forgiveness from our sins, so please O messenger of Allah, intercede with Allah on our behalf, and ask Allah to allow us to die on your Sunnah, to resurrect us in your company, to let us drink from your hand from the watering pool. We ask you O our Prophet…for your intercession, intercession, intercession.
- Then one makes dua to Allah, for his love, the love of his Beloved (peace and blessings be upon Him), and one asks for forgiveness of sins, and the ability to come back again and again to the Beloved Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him), and any valid desires one has.
- Thereafter, one asks the intercession of the Beloved Prophet (peace and blessings be upon Him) for all those who requested to convey greetings to the Prophet, so one says: “Peace be upon you O Messenger of Allah, from all those who have asked me to present their greetings, please intercede on everyone’s behalf”.
One then moves a half-meter to the right until he is parallel with the resting place of Hazrat Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) and says:
“Peace be upon you O caliph of the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon you O companion of the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon you O entrusted by him with secrets. May Allah reward you, on our behalf, the best recompense He has given to a leader of a nation of his Prophet! You have indeed succeeded him in the best manner and have trodden his path and way in the most excellent approach. You fought the people of apostasy and reprehensible innovation; established the cradle of Islam; maintained kinship ties; and remained speaking the truth and giving victory to its people until death came to you. So peace be upon you, and Allah’s mercy and blessings. O Allah let us die on his love, and do not let our efforts in visiting him go to waste; by Your mercy, O Generous One.
He then moves over until he is parallel to the grave of Hazrat ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him), and says:
Peace be upon you, O leader of believers. Peace be upon you, O one who gave glory to Islam. Peace be upon you O breaker of idols. May Allah reward you on our behalf, with the best recompense; and may He be pleased with your successor. For indeed you gave victory to Islam and Muslims, in life and after death; for you took care of orphans, maintained kinship ties; and Islam was strengthened by you. You were, for the Muslims, a well pleasing imam, a guide and one who was guided. You joined their ranks in unity; enriched their indigent; and fixed their broken elements. So peace be upon you, and Allah’s mercy and blessings.
He should turn again to the Messenger and grant his final salams and salutations, and with utmost humility facing towards the rawda and walking with slow steps backwards out of the gate. (So his back does not face the rawda).
Once outside, one stands outside still gazing at the rawda as he ponders upon the beauty of the Messenger (peace and blessings be upon Him). One should thank Allah for giving him the ability to visit the The Beloved Prophet (peace and blessings be upon Him) and ask for the ability to come again and again.
- After the visitation it is recommended to for one to go to the Baqi Graveyard and visit the graves of the martyrs and notable Sahaba (may Allah be pleased with them all).
- It is also recommended to go visit Hazrat Hamza (may Allah be pleased with Him), and other blessed Martyrs at Uhud on Thursday.
- And also recommended for one to visit Masjid Quba on Saturday. (as there is also a reward of One complete Umrah for offering a 2 rakat nafl prayer at the masjid).