UMRAH AT A GLANCE
- Assuming one has completed the steps above and being in Ihraam, made the intention of Umrah.
- Keep reciting Talbiyah.
- Avoid prohibited actions during Ihram.
- When entering Makkah Mukarramah, pray “Allahummaj’al Qararawwarzuknee feeha rizkan halaala”. (Oh Allah, bestow upon me peace and halal sustenance in it (Makkah).
- When entering the Masjid-al-Haram, pray “Bismillah wassalamu alaa Rasoolillah, Allahummaftahlee abwaaba rahmatik” (Allah, in whose name I begin. Salutations on the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him). Oh Allah, open the doors of your mercy for me”.
- Make intention of I’tikaf “Nawaytu sunnatal I’tikaf”.
- First sight of the Holy Ka’baa, pray “Laailaaha Illallah Wallahu Akbar” (There is no God, but Allah, Allah is the Greatest) – then pray Salawat and make loads of Dua. Pray: (Oh Allah, whenever I make permissible Dua, please accept it, and give me that which is best for me)
- Do Idtiba (uncover your right shoulder- for men).
- Go opposite Hajre-aswad and keep it to your right when your standing in front.
- Make intention of Tawaaf “Allahumma innee ureedu Tawafa baytikalharaami fayassirhu lee wa takabbalhu minnee” (Oh Allah, I make the intention of Tawaf of your sacred house, make it easy for me and accept it from me).
- To touch and kiss the hajre Aswad- at the completion of each circuit. If touching with the hand is not possible, then one may touch it with a stick etc and kiss the end that touched the hajre aswad. If this is not possible, then one can simply look at the hajre aswad, raise the hands with the palms facing Hajre Aswad and proclaim the takbeer/ read salawat, then kiss the palms. Pray: “Bismillah wal hamdulillah, wallahu Akbar, wassalatu wassalamu alaa rasoolillah” (Allah, in whose name I begin, all praise is for Allah, Allah is the greatest, and peace and blessings be upon the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him).
- Stop reciting Talbiyah now, until tawaf is finished. Pray the Kalimas, duas, durood and other dhikr.
- Perform Tawaf of the Ka’ba ( first 3 rounds do Ramal).
- After the tawaf is complete, cover the right shoulder.
- Pray 2 rakat nafil behind Maqame Ibrahim.
- Go to multazam if possible and make dua.
- Drink the water of zam zam to your fill and make dua.
- Perform last istilaam Hajre Aswad.
- Go to perform Saiee between Safa and Marwa.
- Once reaching upon Mount Safa, face the Holy Ka’baa and pray:
“Abda’u bimaa bada’Allahu ta’aala Innassafa walmarwata min sha’aa irillAh, faman hajjal bayta awi’tamara falaa junaaha alaihi ayyattawwafa bihima waman tatawwa’a khairan fa-innallaha shakirun aleem”.
(I begin with which Allah Almighty has begun with (this holy Statement of his in the Holy Quran), without doubt, safaa and Marwah are from amongst the signs from Allah, whosoever performs Hajj or Umrah of this house, there is no sin on him for taking rounds of these two (meaning safaa and marwa). And whoever performs a good deed at his own will, undoubtedly Allah is the most rewarding and all knowing).
- Make dua for approx 5-7 mins here on mount safa
- Make intention to perform the Sa’ee and pray: “Allahumma innee ureedus-sa’ya baynassafa walmarwati sab’ata ashwaatill-liwaj-hikal-kareemi fayassirhu lee wata-kabbalhu minnee” (Oh Allah, I intend to perform the seven rounds of Sa’ee between safa and Marwah for your pleasure, make it easy for me and accept it from me)
- Run between the green lights in a dignified way (only men).
- Upon reaching Marwah, make dua again for 5-7 mins here, facing the Ka’baa.
- Continue until all seven rounds are complete and the seventh round will finish at marwah.
- Pray 2 rakats of sa’ee, if possible at the border of the mataaf opposite the direction of Hajre Aswad. 27. Trim/shave hair (taqseer/ Halq) – (women only cut about one inch of hair from end).
- Take off Ihram.
NOW YOU CAN WEAR NORMAL CLOTHES UNTIL THE 8TH OF DHUL – HIJJAH, THIS IS WHEN ONE WILL AGAIN PUT ON THE IHRAM FOR… HAJJ.
Note: up to the days of Hajj, whilst waiting for the 8th of Dhul- Hijjah to come, one should take this opportunity to perform as many nafil (voluntary) tawafs as possible, this can be done in your normal clothes and there is no Ramal or sa’ee in Nafil Tawafs.
- when performing nafl tawaafs, after completing the Tawaaf, one needs to go to the Multazam first and then pray the 2 rakats behind Maqame-Ibrahim
The person doing Hajj-e-tamattu, can put on Ihraam before leaving for Mina on the 8th of Dhul-hijjah (i.e: on the 7th of Dhul-Hijjah), make intention of Hajj:
“Allahumma innee ureedul-hajja fayassirhu lee wataqabbalhu minee, wa’a innee alaihi wabaa rik lee feeh. Nawaytul- hajja wa’ahramtu bihee lillahi ta’aala”
(Oh Allah, I make the intention of Hajj, make it easy for me and accept It from me. I have made intention of Hajj and put on Ihraam for the sake of Allah) and perform a nafl Tawaaf with Idtibaa, Raml and Sa’ee –now there would be no need for him to perform these acts during Tawaaf-e-ziyaarah.