Lesson Three IHRAM
BEFORE WEARING IHRAM:
- Before wearing the Ihram, it is recommended to: cut nails, cut hairs from the under armpits and private region, put on nice scent (this is forbidden after one comes into the state of Ihram), take a bath/make wudhu.
- One must wear the Ihram before passing the Meeqat (boundary).
- The Ihram is simply two pieces of cloth; one for wrapping around the waist so it covers the lower part of the body, the second is for the upper part of the body.
AFTER WEARING IHRAM:
- Pray 2 rakahs sunnah prayer (surah Al-qafiruun in rakah one, and surah Ikhlaas in rakah two) – with ihram and headcover on.
- Take off headcover and now make the Intention for ‘only Umrah’ (as one is doing Hajj Tamattu’) – so intention is made for ‘Umrah only’ for now, and then for ‘Hajj only’ on the 7/8th of Dhul –hijjah.
- So the intention for Umrah is: “Allahumma innee ureedul umrata fayassirha lee watakabbalha minnee, wa’a innee alayha wabaarik lee feeha. Nawaytul umrata wa ahramtu biha lillahi ta’aa laa” (Oh Allah, I make the intention of Umrah, make it easy for me and accept It from me. Help me performing it and make it blessed for me. I have made intention of Umrah and put on Ihraam for the sake of Allah)
- Pray the Talbiyah straight after making the intention
Note: To come into the ‘state of Ihram’ – after wearing the two sheets, ‘one must make the Intention and read aloud the Talbiyah also’ – even after the two sheets are put on, until one does not make the ‘intention & Talbiyah’, they do not become a Muhrim (meaning coming into the state of Ihram) – hence the reason one can still wear the headcover, before the intention & talbiyah are recited.
TALBIYAH is to pray:
“LABBAIK, ALLAHUMMA LABBAIK, LABBAIK LA SHARIKA LAKA LABBAIK, INNAL HUMDA WANNE’MATA LAKA WAL MULK, LAA SHARIKA LAK”
“O ALLAH, (HERE I AM) AT YOUR SERVICE! (HERE I AM) AT YOUR SERVICE – YOU HAVE NO PARTNER; (HERE I AM AT YOUR) SERVICE! INDEED, ALL PRAISE, BLESSINGS, AND THE DOMINION BELONG TO YOU; YOU HAVE NO PARTNER”
At this point onwards, one must abstain from the things that are forbidden during Ihram.
FORBIDDEN ACTIVITIES IN IHRAM
- Clipping own nails/ or someone else’s.
- Cutting, shaving or to pull out own hair / or someone else’s.
- Killing lice.
- To use perfume or anything which contains fragrance on body or Ihram.
- Arguing or using obscene language.
- Sexual relations or speaking about it.
- Covering the head for men (women must keep head covered).
- Covering the face for (both men and women) – with direct skin contact. The women can cover their face by using a sun cap that has a veil draped over it, as with this, there is no skin contact of the veil.
- The male must not wear sewn garments, even underwear, gloves or socks, stitched taweez. (Women can wear stitched garments etc.).
- The male must also not cover the upper part of the foot (so v sandals should be worn). (Women can cover upper part of foot).
- One can use tissue, handkerchief, cloth to wipe sweat or clean the face/nose, but one should dab the face, rather than cover the face and wipe it.
- Stitched Identity wrist bands that are given to the people that will be doing Hajj, can be worn in the state of Ihram.