THE FARDH, WAAJIB AND SUNNAH IN HAJJ
- To wear the Ihram.
- Wuqoof-e-Arafah (staying at Arafat), for a moment from Zohr on the 9th of Dhul – Hajj to Fajr on the 10th of Dhul – Hajj.
- Tawaf: circling the Ka’ba minimally 4 times.
- Intention to perform Hajj.
- Tarteeb (in order), performance of different rituals in the ordained manner. It means, first of all Ihram should be put on- as without Ihram Hajj (or Umrah) is neither possible nor permissible, then wuqoof at Arafat, then Tawaf-e-Ziarat.
- To perform all compulsory acts strictly at the prescribed time limit (i.e. wuqoof –e- Arafat, -between Zohr of the 9th of Dhul- Hajj to Fajr of the 10th of Dhul – Hajj.
- To perform Tawaf Ziarat (Ifada) after the wuqoof of Arafat. (It is superior to perform it on the day of Eid – the 10th of Dhul- hijjah but can be performed from Fajr of the 10th of Dhul – Hijjah upto the sunset of the 12th of DhulHijjah).
- Wuqoof has to be on the plains of Arafat (or adjourning areas in case of overcrowding).
- Tawaf has to be within the limits of the (Masjid-e-Haraam).
- To put on Ihram form any of the prescribed Meeqats (boundaries). One should not move ahead of Meeqat without Ihram. It is however permissible if any one puts on Ihram just before arriving and passing at the Meeqat.
- Sa’ee (between Safa and Marwa).
- To start at safaa and finish at marwah (this constitutes one circuit).
- To walk and perform sa’ee (unless one is unable to).
- To perform sa’ee after tawaf.
- To perform seven circuits in sa’ee.
- If Wuqoof-e-Arafa (staying at Arafat) is done during the day time, then one must stay there till after sunset until the darkness of night becomes visible.
- To begin wuqoof after the decline of sun (so to start at Zohr time), or after at any part of the day.
- To follow the Imam (or appointed leader if one) on leaving Arafat, however if the Imam for some reason is late leaving Arafat, the pilgrim can leave (after sunset).
10.To stay at Muzdalifah and offer Maghrib and Isha combined at Muzdalifah.
11.Rami (stoning): To strike the Jumrah ( the pillars) on 10th, 11th and 12th of Dhul- Hajj,- so on the 10th stone only the big (at Jumratul Aqaba), and strike stones on all three Jumrah, on the 11th and 12th.
- Rami (stoning) at Jumratul- Aqaba on the first Day (10th), to be done before the hair is cut/shaved.
- Each day of Rami (stoning) has to be on its particular day.
- Hair cut (shaving of head) or shortening the hair, to be on the Days of Nahr and in Haram. (for women only to cut 1 inch of hair).
- sacrifice to be made by those performing Hajj Qiran or Tamattu, and to be made in the precincts of the Haram.
- The most part of the Tawaf-e-ziyarat to be done in the Days of sacrifice (Ayyam-e-Nahr).
- Tawaf to be done from the outside of Hateem (to perform tawaaf outside the area of the hateem, for the hateem is part of the Ka’ba).
18.Tawaf to be done anticlockwise and the Kaaba should be on one’s left side.
- To do Tawaf on foot- those who can walk, should walk in tawaaf.
- Whilst doing Tawaf, one should in wudhu (ablution), if one is without wudhu- Tawaf must be re-started.
- To keep the satr of the body covered whilst doing Tawaf. (Covering one’s nakedness. The parts which need to be covered for namaz, must be covered during tawaaf).
22.To perform seven circuits (circles) in tawaaf (the first 4 circuits are classed as fardh and the last 3 are classed as wajib).
23.To offer two rakats of Namaz after the Tawaf, which is Wajib (to perform 2 rakats behind maqam-e-ibrahim (if this is not possible, then anywhere in the masjid-al-haram). – but if not done, Dam will not be necessary, whilst for other wajibs referred to above and those that follow, dam is essential if any of these wajibs are omitted.
24.In performing Rami, slaughtering an animal and making Halq (head shave) – one does them in the right order, meaning – first perform Rami (stoning), then the person doing Hajj Qiran/Tamattu performs Qurbani (slaughtering of the animal), and then shaves the hair.
25.Tawafe Sadr (Wida), for all those who live outside the boundaries of Meeqat. Ladies who are in Menses, should wait till they are purified. If they have to leave without being able to perform it than it’s not Waajib on them.
26.There should be no cohabiting with the wife even from the Wuquf-e-Arafat, until the hair is cut.
- Tawaf-e-Qudoom (the First Tawaf for a non-resident of Arabia). – only sunnah for those performing Hajj-e-Ifrad or Qiran, not for those performing Hajj-e-tamattu (they perform their umrah upon arriving, and all tawafs performed after that up to the Hajj, will be Nafl).
- To start the tawaaf from Hajre Aswad.
- To do ramal in Tawafe Qudoom or Tawafe ziyarat ( ifadah) –this is to walk quickly with small steps whilst moving the shoulders. One should do ramal only in the first three circuits. If it is not possible due to lack of space etc, then one should slow down/stop and find an opportunity to do ramal. For every tawaaf after which, there is going to be a sa’ee performed –ramal is sunnah. (for males only).
- Idtibaa-to wear the ihram cloth in a way that it is under the right armpit and over the left shoulder, for every tawaaf after which there is going to be a sa’ee performed – idtibaa is sunnah (for males only).
- To touch and kiss the hajre Aswad- at the completion of each circuit. If touching with the hand is not possible, then one may touch it with a stick etc. and kiss the end that touched the hajre aswad. If this is not possible, then one can simply look at the hajre aswad, raise the hands with the palms facing and proclaim the takbeer/ read salawat, then kiss the palms.
- Running between the two green lights- in the Sa’ee between the Safa and Marwa. (for males only).
- To perform sa’ee immediately after tawaaf. (disliked to delay without reason).
- To be pure from minor and major impurities. It is permissible, without dislike, for women suffering from menstruation and nifaas (blood discharge due to childbirth) to perform saee.
- During sa’ee, to climb upon Safaa and Marwa, to face the Kaaba whilst making dua, it is Mustahab to raise the hands towards the skies.
10.To say Takbeer; to read the Kalima Tayyibah; to send blessings upon the Holy Prophet sallallhu alaihi wasallam, to make dua.
- The Imam delivering Khutba on these dates… on the 7th in Makkah, on the 9th at Arafat and on the 11th in Mina.
- To depart from Makkah after Fajr prayer, on the 8th, so that all the five prayers (namaz) could be offered at Mina.
- Spending the night in Mina.
14.Leaving Mina and heading for Arafat after sunrise on the 9th.
- performing Ghusl (bathing) for wuqoof Arafat.
- spending the night in Muzdalifah.
17.Spending the nights after the 10th and 11th in Mina. If staying in Mina an extra day then spending the night after the 12th is also sunnah Stopping in wadi- Muhassab (even if only for a moment).Download Now